Sunday, February 15, 2009

Tool Review: Makita Scrollsaw SJ401

Introduction:
Everybody starts something somewhere. While I grew up beside my grandfather that does everything from metalwork, woodwork, plastic work and even watch repairing (all as a hobby), this scrollsaw is what started me in woodworking. Bought initially to do modifications for my computer casing to do acrylic cutting, it did not take long before I was cutting wood. I found a website that boasts great works with the machine and I was hooked.
It came in this box.

Included in the box:
Two allen wrenches, a round wrench (for locking the head in place while replacing the blade), six pinned type blades, the warranty registration and the owners manual.

This scrollsaw is variable speed which is something you want in a scrollsaw. Prevents burned cuts and blade overheating. The ON switch is easily accessible in front as well as the speed control.

It will accept pinned type and plain blades. This makes buying better and thinner blades. Pinned types are limited to thick ones and less options. this is what I mean (the pinned type is at the rightmost).


I have removed the hold down clamps which limits cutting fast and fast turns. And the dust blower works great at keeping the cutline visible at all time.

The aluminum table tilts up to 45° to the left and 15° to the right for bevel cuts. And is easily adjustable with the front lever. And shown is the dust control port for vacuum attachment.

It comes with a minimal 1.2 ampere motor which makes for cool operation even at long operations.

The base is made of cast iron which adds to its weight to reduce vibration.

My Verdict:
This machine is built like a tank except for the table which could have used another type of material other than aluminum. the vibration can be improved but minimal. As any Makita item locally, accessories are very hard to come by, even from their distributor. Overall, this machine is a good buy compared to what our limited market is limited to. As to price, I don't understand why most of the time this Makitas sell higher here than the UK market when we are much closer to its sources.

My rating:
Built: 8/10
Vibration: 7/10
Dust Collection: 6/10
Price: 5/10
Performance Overall: 8/10

Pls. post your comments, I would appreciate it.

13 comments:

  1. the reason why makitas are much expensive here in pinas than elsewhere esp UK?coz there is only one sole distributor i.e. mayon industrial and they dictate and monopolize the price somehow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. did you intentionally disregarded the use of the dog in that record woodvice?

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey violaine, very nice of you to visit me here. yes, I did that intentionally (vise dog) I do not have dog holes at the bench for it anyway. and could make some dog holes on the vice face if wnd when I need them. for now, the tail vice and dogs work great and never need another.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, I'm wondering where I can purchase this scroll saw model here in the Philippines, I'm from Bulacan. thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Got mine from belmont cebu city.. the last unit they got.

      Delete
  5. Great post. I was checking continuously this blog and I am impressed! Extremely helpful info specially the last part :) I care for such info much. I was looking for this particular information for a long time. Thank you and best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful invention. When I first heard about Makita Scrollsaw, I was both amused and amazed. Very cool invention tough I didn't understand how to use it fully but yes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! Great I like to purchase one of these and some air tools from United Tools Clayton.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Timber715! Im new to scrolling. Just bought my saw yesterday and had it tested today. May i know where i can buy my patterns?

    ReplyDelete
  10. How much this machine in php currency.

    ReplyDelete