Monday, February 16, 2009

Tool Review: Chinese made Combination Square Set

Introduction:
Personally I am not really big on Chinese tools, let alone lay-out tools. But this one caught my attention the moment I saw it. I just came from another store that carried the same kit but is a Starrett brand (which I really want but could not afford). So, I asked to see and inspect the item. Upon close inspection, the build is quite similar to Starrett (tight and solid), made some lay-out lines and bought the item.
Included in the box:
A laser etched rule, combination square, protractor guage and a center marking guage.


I also have a Stanley combination square and made a heads up comparison. Let us start with the metal rule. Note the difference in marking thickness, the Stanley marks could fit three lines of the Chinese made rule which could add to inaccuracy.

I then proceeded to the combination square and their hold downs. Which was similar until close inspection.


Both combination squares seem solid, the Chinese square seems to be built slightly better though.The Stanley hold down had coarser teeth spacing and was surprised to find a flat side on it. I have had my Stanley square for a while now and it has slid along the hold down many of times producing poor and inaccurate lines, the Chinese brand on the otherhand is solid and has never slipped. It made me think that a tool like this (Stanley) could only be made by... Stanley, Hahaha.


Lets make some lay-out lines. One way to check if a square is square is to lay lines parallel to each other with the same rule in the opposite side.





As for the rest of the items, I went to the protractor and layed-out a 45° angle, and with another protractor I checked on it and is very pleased with the results.





I now checked on the center marking gauge. I wanted to show that the gauge can be used for cylindrical items and all I can find is this plastic cup. So here it is.



My Results:
This brand definitely outclass the Stanley made combination square in more aspects than one. With a Php 2,000.00 price tag it is well worth it (the Starrett set costs Php 11,000.00 ++). Will I recommend it? Hell yeah, its a great deal for a great item.

Build/Construction: 8/10
Accuracy: 9/10
Price/Cost: 7/10
Overall: 7/10

Pls. post your comments, I would appreciate it.

3 comments: