Saturday, February 14, 2009

locally available 2000 grit sharpening stone

I have been looking all over for a good sharpening stone. A friend (Owyn) offered one of his Naniwa 1000 grit Japanese stone and I grabbed it of course without hesitation. I continue to look for higher grits the like of 8000. I thought that the Naniwa 1000 grit although bought locally is very rare what else can I expect higher grits?
Well today I found two stones with higher than the 1000 grit. Its not Naniwa but I am certain that they were Japanese stones. The first one a class "B" 1200 grit stone ( I was told to purchase the other as it is better, I trust this vendor with his advice ) and the other, a 2000 grit class "A" Japanese stone which I purchased of course. I rushed home and opened my new stone.
First impressions were that the stone is flat without flattening necessary and that the texture is very smooth.


The stone measures 180 mm x 80 mm, just about perfect for honing all the hand plane blade sizes.
I placed it under water for 5 minutes just to soak in and gave my No. 4 blade a light honing. To my surprise, it cuts faster than the Naniwa stone and very clean. I was very pleased with the results just from a few strokes on it. I places the second bevel and just like the primary, it was no hassle with just about six strokes and the bevel is there. a light pass at the strop and in comes the back bevel. I did cut some pine endgrain and forgot to take some pictures of it. So, the next thing was to install the chip breaker and assemble it back. Did some minor tweaking just to center the blade and viola...


This Japanese stone should be available to all filipino handplane enthusiast. It makes sharpening much easier. A similar stone I found was in the knives store and costs Php 3,000.00. This one costs much much less and seems to be the same. Except, the ones in the knives store carries the Japanese signature which mine did not have.
Overall remark:
this stone is a must have for the sharpening buffs.

Leave a comment when you can. I would appreciate this.

13 comments:

  1. Now those are really thin shavings for a western type plane.
    Using ScarySharp I use 2000 grit paper for the end phase of sharpening. Recently I'm trying to consider a stone because I figure you can just pull it out of the drawer, soak then sharpen. No plate glass set-up. Pm me naman @ tpc for the price. Just weighing in options for now. Nice work!

    mrjasonbourne@tpc

    ReplyDelete
  2. I already did. No need to weigh your options, it is well worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. btw, a 2000 grit stone will not cut or produce the same results as a 2000 grit sandpaper.

    ReplyDelete
  4. After seeing the stone, I got it from Timber right away. It may not have a japanese signature as timber says but the brand this stone is carrying has a good reputation for quality. You would be pleased knowing and owning one. I would really get this without hesitation over the one being sold in the knife stores.

    Thanks tim for the item and the friendly price! Looks like you convinced me with this method...bye bye scary sharp hello stone age. lol

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're welcome. Hopefully you keep me updated with your sharpening process and how you are finding the stone's cutting capacity. Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  6. dude, been looking around for sharpening stones for like.... ever..... where'd you find them? i know it's been 3 years and all but would you happen to know if they're still available? i'm a sharpening freak, a knife knut. if you don't mind helping a guy out.... mail me back or something or if you could text me 09175128443 where to get this stuff locally. been contemplating on getting them online but the risks of breaking the stones from shipping is just too high a cost.

    thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. go here

    cab1net.com

    joey

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sir can you share where to get the 2000 grit stone thanks jongie@tpc

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sir, where did you buy the said stones? Planning to buy a higher grit stone. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi where to buy the stones, article doesnt say?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi where to buy the stones, article doesnt say?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Permission to post Timber. Thanks

    Here are a few Japanese Water Stones.

    KING 6000 GRIT JAPANESE WATERSTONE S1 - 4,250 pesos

    https://www.mybenta.com/classified/127338/king-6000-grit-japanese-waterstone-s1

    KING 1000 GRIT JAPANESE STONE - 2,200 pesos

    https://www.mybenta.com/classified/127330/king-1000-grit-japanese-stone

    KING DELUXE MEDIUM GRAIN SHARPENING STONE -1200 GRIT - 2,500

    https://www.mybenta.com/classified/133396/king-deluxe-medium-grain-sharpening-stone--1200-grit

    Call to text Jay 0927-3697812

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi. Where could I buy a stone like this? Online perhaps? Somebody help. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete